About Me

My photo
Filling the house with (literally) beady eyed creatures since forever*

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Bucket Hat and Felted Jersey for Toddler


Have felt like sewing lately and discovered this fantastic free hat pattern:
Oliver + S Reversible Bucket Hat pattern
It was really clear and easy to follow. I didn't have interfacing so I lined the brim with 2 pieces of calico. I used some orange cotton fabric from my stash for the inside and cute farm fabric from A Bolt of Cloth I had bought as an off-cut in Christchurch last Christmas. Decided it wouldn't be reversible so added a strap from an old singlet top to stop it from blowing away.
Then I got really keen and felted an old Esprit jersey. It was only 80% wool, 20% acrylic so it didn't felt all that much but I used the wrong side as the outside to make a little jersey. That pattern was one I made myself from a large long sleeved tee-shirt. Had never drafted a pattern before, or made a hat, so surprised how easy, quick and fun these projects were. Also made a pair of fingerless gloves using the bottom of the sleeves from the jersey.
Keen to make more bits and pieces, especially using old clothes. It's fun felting the old jerseys. Wool felt is one of my favourite fabrics. Thinking of making a little jacket/coat next. Not so confident drafting some of those details, will see how it goes...

BTW - felting is so much fun! It's amazing how much you really have to abuse the wool to get it to start to shrink and 'full'. I tried lots of things including boiling the jersey in an old pot, but in the end I discovered that alternating between really hot water and really cold water plunge baths, a whole heap of dishwash detergent, and a lot of scrubbing with a dish brush worked the best.

No comments:

Search This Blog